A smelly and slow drain is a homemaker’s nightmare because the odor of a smelly drain can quickly spread throughout the house.
There are so many things that can cause a drain to smell, once you notice a smell from your drain, it may mean that a clog is starting to develop, it would be helpful to treat it sooner. Here are some things that may cause your drain to smell
- The buildup of grease and food residue in a kitchen drain can cause germs and bacteria.
- Rotten food that is disposed of in the kitchen sink can be caught up in the pipes and eventually cause a drain to stink.
- Clogged bath drains due to soaps, body oils, hair, etc.
If your drain is clogged, you might want to try using a plunger first to unplug it or a wire hook for any hairs that might be stuck on your drains.
Here are 4 homemade methods to clean your drains
1 Hydrogen Peroxide
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the sink
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes
- Pour 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide
- Allow it to sit for about 2 hours
- Pour hot water down the drain
This method helps to fight mold too, you can add 1/4 cup of borax to this mixture for mold. To avoid your drain from being clogged again, you can pour a cup of hydrogen peroxide after 14 days.
2 Hot Water and Salt
This is a great, inexpensive drain cleaner.
- Pour 1/2 cup salt (any salt works, table salt, sea salt, or kosher salt)
- Gently pour 2 litres of boiling water down the drain
This method may require a number of rounds, for it to work effectively.
3 Water and Dish Soap
- Mix 2-5 drops of dish soap with 2 liters of boiling water
- Slowly pour the mixture into your drain
- Wait for 3-5 minutes allowing the mixture to work on any oil buildup
- (Optional), You can run cold water for 15 – 30 seconds
4 Borax, Salt, and Vinegar
- Mix 1/4 cup of Borax (Available at Clicks), 1/4 cup of salt, and 1/4 cup of vinegar in a boiling pot of water
- allow the mixture to sit for an hour or until the mixture becomes clear
- Pour the mixture down the drain
- wait for 5 minutes
- Run cold water for 10 seconds
If your bathroom drain is constantly smelly, you can use a cup of water vinegar, cover for 5 minutes, and then pour hot water.
Which of these methods have you tried before or wish to try? Do share your go-to drain cleaning method down below.